The Rainbow Project is Northern Ireland’s largest LGB&T Sector organisation and has been commissioned to deliver the above training. This work has been funded by the Southern Area PHA, through Protect Life Funding, and places are therefore FREE to participants. Participants must be available to attend both days. The topics covered in the training will include:
- Understanding same-sex attraction and use of appropriate terminology
- Key health inequalities experienced by people who are same-sex attracted
- Forms of homophobia and heterosexism and internalised homophobia
- Barriers to accessing mainstream statutory service provision
- Legislative and social policy context
- Common issues when counselling LGB clients
- Tips for improvement of practice
Training is scheduled to take place on 16th and 17th December in the Newry area. This training is specifically aimed at Counsellors and counselling Managers within community/Voluntary/Statutory Organisations and is a 2 day programme. The first day is Sexual Orientation Awareness and the second will be counselling focused. Participants are expected to attend both days.
Full details and further information can be obtained by contacting Martin or Malachai on 02890319030. Both days run from 9:30am to 4:30pm. Places are strictly limited to 20 places per session and will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.