Threats, violence, verbal abuse, intimidation, vandalism and damage, sexual assault and/or coercion are all ways you can be affected by homophobia, hate and discrimination whether it is coming from members of the public or your own family.
The Rainbow Project has employed a new Advocacy Officer, Harriet Long, who is running a new Advocacy Service for the LGBT community in Northern Ireland, providing support and information if:
- You have been or are a victim or a witness to hate crime and/or incidents
- You are experiencing abuse from your partner or a family member
- You are having trouble accessing products and services
The advocate can:
- Support you in your disclosure and reporting of incidents
- Advise you of your choice and control over what happens next
- Accompany you in a supportive role should you wish to take things further with PSNI, NIHE etc
- Provide information about support and services available to you and your family
- Speak on your behalf to agencies and service providers
- Raise awareness of issues you have faced/are facing to improve services in the future
- Treat all matters with sensitivity and respect for your privacy
For further information about the Advocacy Service, please contact Harriet at The Rainbow Project’s Belfast Centre on (028) 9031 9030 or join the Facebook page by clicking here.