Please note that the Policing Board’s Human Rights and Professional Standards Committee has launched a thematic inquiry into policing with and for LGB&T individuals.
The Inquiry will consider the PSNI approach to policing with and for LGB&T individuals and in doing so its compliance with the Human Rights Act 1998 in:
• Identifying, recording and encouraging the reporting of crimes committed against LGB&T individuals including, but not limited to, homophobic or transphobic motivated hate incidents and crimes; domestic abuse; and sexual violence;
• Supporting LGB&T victims of crime;
• Investigating crimes committed against LGB&T individuals and arresting the perpetrators;
• Providing internal support to LGB&T police officers and police staff; and
• Engaging with LGB&T stakeholder groups, organisations, and individuals.
This will necessarily involve a review of PSNI policy, training, staffing, the quality of service received by LGB&T victims of crime, and the ethos within the PSNI generally towards LGB&T individuals.
The full terms of reference for the inquiry can be accessed using the following link:
If you would like to make a submission to the Inquiry please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 November 2010.
Director of Policy