Northern Ireland Prison Service
Salary: £18,000 – £23,000 per annum (subject to completion of training)
The core purpose of the Northern Ireland Prison Service is to improve public safety by reducing the risk of reoffending through the management and rehabilitation of offenders in custody.
We currently have job opportunities across the Prison Service estate for people who would aspire to playing a key role in protecting society and contributing towards the rehabilitation of offenders.
The primary role of the Custody Officer is to develop and maintain a prison environment which is safe, secure and decent for both prisoners and staff. Custody Officer staff are responsible for performing a range of operational and custodial duties that ensure that prison routines run smoothly including conducting searches, controlling movement within the prison and maintaining aspects of order and discipline.
The applicant must:
- be willing to serve in any prison / young offenders establishment inNorthern Irelandnow or in the future. Currently these are:
Maghaberry Prison – near Moira
Magilligan Prison – near Limavady
Hydebank Wood Young Offenders’ Centre and Women’s Prison –Belfast
But may include additional facilities as and when developed throughoutNorthern Ireland.
- Have GCSE English and Mathematics at Grade C or above or equivalent.
- be in good health (a medical examination will be necessary).
- be able to demonstrate good communication skills.
- be observant and diligent.
- be able to work as a member of a team.
- be able to use your initiative to deal with demanding situations and craft workable solutions.
- be systematic and have a methodical approach and have good problem solving skills.
- have a full, current driving licence.
The selection procedure to determine successful candidates will include an aptitude test followed by an assessment centre at which the core skills of the post will be tested through a series of group exercises.
An application form and full details may be obtained by telephoning Recruitment Branch on 02890 525334 / 525340 / 525430 / 524694 / 525368 or e-mailing us on email@example.com leaving your name and full postal address, including postcode.
Completed application forms must be received by Prison Service Headquarters no later than 12 Noon on 2 March 2012.
The Northern Ireland Prison Service is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. However, as women and Roman Catholics are known to be under-represented in our workforce, we would particularly welcome applications from these groups. All appointments will be made on merit.