The Rainbow Project is Northern Ireland’s largest LGB&/T Sector organisation and has been commissioned to deliver a number of LGB&/T specific training events funded through PHA and Protect Life. Places are FREE to participants.
The topics covered in the training will include:
- Understanding same-sex attraction and use of appropriate terminology
- Understanding gender identity and expression and use of appropriate terminology
- Key health inequalities experienced by people who are same-sex attracted
- Forms of homophobia, heterosexism and internalised homophobia
- Barriers to accessing mainstream statutory service provision
- Legislative and social policy context
- Common issues when counselling LGB&/T clients
- Tips for improvement of practice
There are two types of training on offer;
1. Sexual Orientation Awareness Training (one day) – This is targeted at community/voluntary/statutory service providers and policy makers working in Mental Health, Suicide, Sexual Health, Substance Misuse, and Equality and Diversity work. This training will cover language, appropriate terminology, and its impact; homophobia and heterosexism; health inequalities experienced by LGB people; barriers to accessing services; legislative and policy context;
and improvement of practice.
2. Sexual Orientation 2 Hour workshop – This is targeted at community/voluntary/statutory service providers and policy makers working in Mental Health, Suicide, Sexual Health, Substance Misuse, and Equality and Diversity work. This training is a shorter taster session to the full day Sexual Orientation Awareness Training and is not accredited. However this will give you a good basis for understanding Sexual Orientation issues.