How to Access PrEP in NI
The recently launched HIV Prevention Clinic/Risk Reduction clinic runs several times per week in the Royal Victoria Hospital & Altnagelvin Hospital GUM clinics. It has been set up to provide testing for STIs, behavioural interventions aimed at reducing risk and access to the HIV prevention drug PrEP.
All genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinics in Northern Ireland will be offering initial consultation, assessment appointments and access to PrEP for those who are eligible. Unfortunately due to COVID 19 Royal Victoria Hospital’s GUM clinic is currently unable to run their PrEP clinic.
To access PrEP in Northern Ireland you need to be:
- Over 16
- Able to attend for regular 3 month reviews at your local GUM clinic
- Willing to stop taking PrEP when no longer eligible,
- Resident in Northern Ireland
- HIV negative and have tested for HIV at a clinic in the previous 12 months.
You’ll also need to match one or more of these descriptions:
- HIV negative, and expect to have condomless sex with an HIV positive partner/s with a detectable viral load.
- HIV negative and have had condomless sex in the past 3 months and think you will again in the next 3 months
- You are a cisgender or transgender MSM (man who has sex with men) or transgender woman.
- You don’t meet the first two descriptions, but you’ve been clinically assessed as being at a similar high risk of becoming HIV positive.
You can find out how to contact your local GUM clinic to set up an initial consultation and appointment here.
What if I’m not eligible to access PrEP on the NHS?
You can buy genuine, generic-brand PrEP reliably and legally online at www.iwantprepnow.co.uk for as little as £19 per box when you buy three boxes up front. Please remember you need to have tested negative or non-reactive for HIV recently as taking PrEP when you are HIV+ can cause drug resistance making your HIV more difficult to treat. You can download a free PDF “UK Guide to PrEP” from https://i-base.info/guides/prep/pdf for more detailed information on buying and taking PrEP.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our sexual health development officer by call or text (07904864861) and e-mail (email@example.com)