Sex in the Time of Coronavirus
Firstly it’s important to know how Covid 19 is transmitted:
- You can get Covid 19 from a person who has it
- The virus is spread to someone who is within two meters of a person with Corvid 19 when they cough or sneeze.
- Someone who does not have symptoms of high fever, a cough or shortness of breath may still have the virus and be capable of spread it further.
- The virus can spread through direct contact with saliva, mucus and faeces.
For further reliable and up-to-date information on Covid 19 please visit the Public Health Agency’s site here
We still still have a lot to learn about Covid 19 and sex
- Covid 19 has been found in the faeces of people who are infected with the virus.
- Covid 19 has not yet been found to exist in semen or vaginal fluids.
- We know that other coronaviruses do not transmit effectively via sex.
Have sex with people who are close to you
- You are your safest sex partner. Masturbation will not spread Covid 19, especially if you wash your hands (and any sex toys) for at least twenty seconds before and after sex.
- The next safest partner is someone you live with. Having close contact – including sex – with only a small circle of people helps prevent the spread of Covid 19.
- You should avoid sex with anyone outside of your household. If you do have sex with others please have as few partners as possible and avoid group sex altogether!
- If usually meet your sex partners online or make a living from sex work you should take a break from in person dates. Video dates, sexting or chat rooms may be options for you.
Take care during sex.
- Kissing can easily pass Covid 19. Avoid kissing anyone who is outside of your small circle of close contacts.
- Rimming (mouth or anus) might spread Covid 19. Virus in faeces may enter your mouth and infect you.
- Condoms may reduce contact with saliva and faeces, especially during anal or oral sex.
- Washing up before and after sex is more important than ever.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least twenty seconds.
- Wash sex toys with warm water and soap.
Sexual health support available at The Rainbow Project:
- Free condoms and lube via post just complete this form to order your delivery.
- Rapid HIV & syphilis testing
- We will complete phone/e-mail/online messenger consultation first.
- This is to limit the amount of contact we may have with clients outside of the actual testing process (AKA, taking your finger prick blood sample)
- Please e-mail (email@example.com) or call/text (079 04 864 861) to book an appointment or for help and advice.