How to Access PrEP in NI
All genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinics in Northern Ireland will be offering initial consultation, assessment appointments and access to PrEP for those who are eligible.
If you need information on what PrEP is, who would benefit from PrEP, dosing options for PrEP and answers for more of your frequently asked questions on PrEP click here.
PrEP is now available again at all GUM clinics across Northern Ireland including the Royal Victoria Hospital.
To access PrEP in Northern Ireland you need to be:
- Over 16
- Able to attend for regular 3 month reviews at your local GUM clinic
- Willing to stop taking PrEP when no longer eligible,
- Resident in Northern Ireland
- HIV negative and have tested for HIV at a clinic in the previous 12 months.
You’ll also need to match one or more of these descriptions:
- HIV negative, and expect to have condomless sex with an HIV positive partner/s with a detectable viral load.
- HIV negative and have had condomless sex in the past 3 months and think you will again in the next 3 months
- You don’t meet the first two descriptions, but you’ve been clinically assessed as being at a similar high risk of becoming HIV positive.
How to book a PrEP assessment at your local GUM clinic?
- Belfast Trust (Royal Victoria Hospital):
- Call 028 96 15 2111 (Mon-Friday 8.15am-10.15am)
- Northern Trust (Coleraine, Ballymena & Magherafelt):
- Call 028 7034 6028
- E-mail email@example.com
- Western Trust (Altnagelvin & Omagh):
- Call 028 71 61 1269 (Mon-Fri 8.30am-4.00pm)
- Southern Trust (Jon Mitchell Place, Craigavon & Portadown):
- Call 028 37 56 2080 (Mon & Weds 9am-4pm and Tues, Thurs & Fri 9am-12pm)
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- South-Eastern Trust (Bangor, Downpatrick & Lisburn):
- Call 028 44 83 8133 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm)
What if I’m not eligible to access PrEP on the NHS?
You can buy genuine, generic-brand PrEP reliably and legally online at www.iwantprepnow.co.uk for as little as £19 per box when you buy three boxes up front. Please remember you need to have tested negative or non-reactive for HIV recently as taking PrEP when you are HIV+ can cause drug resistance making your HIV more difficult to treat. You can download a free PDF “UK Guide to PrEP” from https://i-base.info/guides/prep/pdf for more detailed information on buying and taking PrEP.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our sexual health development officer by call or text (07904864861) and e-mail (email@example.com)all